We landed in Freeport, Bahamas this afternoon a little before noon. We went through immigration and waited by the curb for a few shuttle busses to drive us to the marina. Poor Diego’s bags didn’t arrive with us, but besides his missing luggage, we got to the shipyard without any major glitches. In order to get to the stairs for boarding the ship, we had to drag our super heavy bags through about 2 tenths of a mile of gravel. My bags had enough trouble getting through the dirt and rocks, let alone staying upright. Once I arrived to the group we were informed that our bags would be taken up via elevator, so all that we had to do was climb the remaining 40 stairs to the ship. Once we got to the dock we boarded the ship and went through one last security screening. After meeting our cruise director and the hotel manager we gathered in the cinema to go over our medical forms, our passports, and our proof of employment papers. Once all of these were cleared, we received our room keys and dropped off our bags and headed for some lunch. The rooms are smaller then the smallest dorm room you have ever seen. The small door opens to a narrow hallway about 2 yards long with a door on the left opening to the bathroom. At the end of the hall there is about a 6 by 9 foot area with bunk beds, a wadrobe, a desk with drawers and a night table. It is extremely small for two people. The food at lunch was the food that would typically be served in the crew mess hall, a lot like dining common food served at college.
After lunch, we went back to the cinema where we watched a small safety video about the major emergency protocols. I fell asleep. From there we went to the theater where we ran the bumper 5 times before trying on all of the costumes for ‘Dance Around the World’ up to the Irish dance.
Gross and tired, we went back to our rooms to change before a drink in the crew bar courtesy of our cruise director, and dinner. For dinner it was the same things that we had for lunch, and after we ate as much as we could without repeating lunch, we headed back to our rooms to finish unpacking.
After suffocating from the lack of air conditioning in our cabins we decided to roam around the boat in search of cooler areas. We met up with some dancers from the previous contract and chatted with some of the crewmembers as we asked for directions. Before returning to our cabins for bed we went down to the 1st floor for our uniforms. The ladies wear white dress shirts, a blue blazer, and a tan skirt at night and a blue polo with the celebrity logo and tan shorts during the day.
Right now I am laying on my top bunk, typing this into apple Word because the internet isn’t established yet. I’m tired, and cranky, and have been going for more then 24 hours with only an hour and a half of sleep. I have spent the entire day with an allergy attack the won’t quite, and tissues stuffed in my face for all of the introductions I am making on the ship. I miss home, and my bed, and honestly….Ashby weather. I just keep reminding myself that I’m going to the Mediterranean. I’m going to the Mediterranean, I’m going to the Mediterranean.
Tomorrow we don’t have to rehearse until 4. We have the rest of the day off, but for tonight I will go to bed and dream of that unruly Ashby breeze.

No comments:
Post a Comment